Södergarn traces its history all the way back to a deed of purchase from 1381, when Bo Jonsson Grip still had a number of country manors called Sothagarna – Södergarn’s predecessors.
Until 1775, Lidingö comprised a single estate, or part of a larger mainland estate. After that, the grounds were split up. Since 1799, Södergarn has been owned by a number of Stockholm residents who mainly used the property as a summer residence.
In 1888, the merchant Carl Fredrik Falkman took over Södergarn. He commissioned the construction of the stately Falkmanska Villan, designed by the architect Magnus Isaeus, and created a new garden with a large number of trees and berry shrubs.
In 1959, the Bank decided to build a training and conference centre at Södergarn. The main building, with two wings, was designed by the architect Lars Åkerlund. He embraced the provincial setting that now hallmarks Södergarn.